Monday, May 11, 2015

Dad Is Fat

 
 
Dad Is Fat
Jim Gaffigan
Completed Date: 5/4/15
Rating out of 5: 2
 
Check me out on www.goodreads.com!

 Before you read too far, you should know that I don't do Synopsis type reviews - if you want a synopsis then you can go read the synopsis. What I want to do here is give my opinion of the book. **Spoilers may happen, but aren't likely**

I had this audio book on hold at my library for weeks before it became available. The anticipation built as I waited and waited. And then, the day came! I got settled down to listen to the story. The reason I got the audio copy is because I'm a fan of Jim Gaffigan. His standup performances are hilarious and I thought this book would follow suit, especially since he had done the reading himself.

There are lots of things in life that I don't relate to. Being an oil field worker. Being an only child. Growing up rich. Finishing college. Wanting to be an astronaut. Those are all things that I don't understand and yet there's still humor in them. I assume the same can be said for parenting, but there was just no humor in this book that I could hear.

Maybe it's because I'm not a parent, nor do I want to be. This book is all about becoming a parent and the trials and tribulations they go through, the sacrifices, loss of identity and then he tries to make it humorous? No, no. It's terrifying and, sorry parents everywhere!, it's sad. (Just my opinion, don't hate me.) The audio file came in 3 parts. I didn't realize that until I had already celebrated the completion of Part 1, only do discover there was more? So disappointed that I hadn't laughed even once that I didn't finish it.

I originally rated this a 1. Horrible. However, I boosted the rating to a two when I realized that maybe I had the wrong expectations of the book going in. I'm sure it's witty. I'm just the wrong audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment