Monday, May 11, 2015

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

 
 
 
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Mark Haddon
Completed Date: 5/3/15
Rating out of 5: 3
 
Check me out on www.goodreads.com!

Before you read too far, you should know that I don't do Synopsis type reviews - if you want a synopsis then you can go read the synopsis. What I want to do here is give my opinion of the book. **Spoilers may happen, but aren't likely**

This book as my on my list of "must read this to find out what all of the fuss is about" book for quite some time. I read this book in one sitting. Partly because it's so short, and partly because I was enjoying it and I couldn't really put it down. But then, Misty, why did you only rate it a three?

Asperger's and Autism isn't something to scoff at. It's not "cute" and I don't think any of us understand it if we aren't living it. It's not clarified which, if either, syndrome Christopher has, but did mention both Asperger's and Autism. I think this book was begging for attention by talking about a "controversial" subject. I don't like anything, be it books or people, that begs for attention. 

One of my favorite quotes, not from this book, is "We are all unique. Just not in the ways we think we are." Those little "quirks" we have that we find unique about ourselves or our loved ones are not unique at all, we share that same quirk with millions of people. Sorry, it's true. What I love about this story is that our 15-year-old, self proclaimed Sherlock, Christopher, doesn't care. He doesn't care if he's like you or like me. He just knows that he hates yellow and doesn't understand how the weather can determine a person's mood any more than counting the number of red cars there are on the route to school can. He is just Christopher. And Christopher is determined to discover the details about the death of the neighborhood dog.

I wouldn't really want to read it again, but I'm glad I read it thorough at least once.

No comments:

Post a Comment