Monday, May 11, 2015

The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake

 
 
The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake
Aimee Bender
Completed Date: 5/10/15
Rating out of 5: 2
 
Check me out on www.goodreads.com!

Before you read too far, you should know that I don't do Synopsis type reviews - if you want a synopsis then you can go read the synopsis. What I want to do here is give my opinion of the book. **Spoilers may happen, but aren't likely**
 
I didn't have to eat the cake, so to speak, to quickly realize this book is not at all what I thought it was going to be. Had the synopsis included that this was a "coming of age" novel of sorts, I wouldn't have picked it up at all to be honest. There's not much in this would I abhor more than a coming of age novel. Quite frankly, the only reason I finished it is because it's this month's choice for my book club. We chose it because it sounded whimsical.
 It's not.

I read through this one quickly. Partly because I kept waiting to be let in on the secret. There's a point, right? There's an AHA momenta bout to happen that makes this all clear? Nope. No AHA. No point. When I finally gave up hope, my speed reading skills kicked in just to finish the awful thing.

Prior to reading this book I read through some of the reviews on Goodreads.com. One described this book as Chinese food. Tastes good, but leaves you hungry again in half an hour. I feel like this book never found it's niche. There's bits of "magic" at the every day dinner table, but the book never decided what it wants to be when it grows up, fantastical or contemporary, which makes it just plain boring by default. And yes, I understand that's the point. Growing up and discovering who we are, and who those around us are, does have some magical qualities, I get it, I promise, but that's an easy enough tale to tell without ... cake?

Two out of 5 starts strictly for originality and writing style. Zero points for story. Zero points for characters. Zero points for ever reading this again or recommending it to anybody. Zero points for even ever trying the author again. I cant wait to discuss this one in book club to see how the other's felt about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment