Monday, May 18, 2015

Love Minus Eighty

 
Love Minus Eighty 
Will McIntosh
Completed Date: 5/15/15
Rating out of 5: 3
 
Check me out on www.goodreads.com!

Before you read too far, you should know that I don't do Synopsis type reviews - if you want a synopsis then you can go read the synopsis. What I want to do here is give my opinion of the book. **Spoilers may happen, but aren't likely**

This book is part love story, part futuristic / sci-fi, part video game. It's charming!

Love. It's what makes the world go 'round. And sometimes we find it in places we wouldn't think to look. In this case, Rob finds it a "cryogenic dating farm" when he goes to visit Winter, the girl he accidently ran over and killed. He went looking for forgiveness and finds much more. I find it honorable that he works his fingers, literally, to the bone to save every penny he can to visit her once ever 3 - 4 months for only 5 minutes at a time. That's dedication. I like Veronika and Nate and I like even better that (Spoiler) Veronika does not end up with Nate. I found myself caring about every character in this story and wanted to know more about what happens to them.

This book also brought up some important moral questions. Sorry to be the stick in the mud. But, is it really responsible to preserve people? Not only is it a matter of resources vs population, but how would that impact somebody mentally to possibly wake up hundreds of years later to a different world where everyone you know is (actually) dead?

Even though the book was futuristic, I feel it was also realistic. Being able to pop in on friends and chat with them via floating "Screen" isn't too big of a stretch considering the technology we have at our finger tips already. The realism makes the book more fun and friendly.

Sounds great, right? Why the 3 star rating, you ask? While I found the book charming, interesting and fun, I don't find myself wanting to add it to my shelf to read over and over again. I don't know that I would read a sequel either. I am perfectly content with where the story ended. I enjoyed it and would recommend for anybody who's a fan of love stories, psychology or someone who is looking for something utterly unique.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment